Friday 20 March 2009

Hindsight is a Wonderful Thing!

It is you know - in my opinion anyway!!

I am so enjoying looking back on my life story, it's something I have always done to one extent - but mostly just in the odd snippets of remembering events. The disadvantage of relying on this has been that you forget areas or developments in life that when they were happening were really a big deal.

At the end of writing about an event that has happened in my life I often discover whenever I think about it through the day that there are other little side stories that come into view which have been totally forgotten about. I am having to be really patient with myself while I wait to see what event turns up next for me to blog about. One of the biggest difficulties for me seems to be to not rush to write an outline of all the big events, whilst being kind to myself and allowing some things to not be written about in a chronological order when I am not yet ready to write about them.

This has got me pondering about the Bible - though please be assured I am in nooooo way suggesting that my writing is like that in the Bible!!!!! However when the books in the Bible were written they are all looking at events that have, are or will be happening. There is lots of jumping about, lots of little side stories. I find this so comforting. Though we are all uniquely made we all have the same Father and he has invested in us qualities of himself. So when I sit and reminisce about times in my life, it's good to know that He is there listening and reminiscing with me. Just like when I sit down with my children and watch videos of their early years and tell them stories about things that they did when they were younger.

I know that it is very hard (if not near impossible) to cherish hard times when you are going through them. The gift of hindsight that we have means that we can be sure that in the future we will be able to look back on these hard times and see developments in ourselves - things that have changed. It might take a long time before we can see the developments turn into good ones
however we can hold on in faith to believe that all things will turn for the good.

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. Romans 8 verse 28.

No comments:

Post a Comment