Friday 20 February 2009

Back to the Story

I can't believe it is so long since I wandered off my life story. I had intended to just have a few days off and here we are - almost a month away. My husband has requested I get back on with recapping my story, cause he knows that his entrance is imminent!



So I became a Christian on June 22nd 1992 about 6 weeks after that amazing meeting with Jesus at Easter. Why did it take 6 weeks - well I knew straight away that Jesus was going to require every part of me. There was never any question in my mind that I could be a half hearted Christian - doing some stuff but not all. I knew that for me that I was going to have to give every area of my life over to Jesus, including my relationships, my attitudes to money, to family, my body - the list goes on. I am so incredibly grateful to those that drew close to me during this time who gave me the extra strength and human encouragement that I needed to make my life changing decision.



One of the hardest parts of becoming a Christian for me was the fact that I knew that I would have to tell my boyfriend and my family. I knew with my boyfriend at the time that he would support me though I don't think he had any idea of the consequences for our physical relationship. With my family I knew there would be some dismay. For my sister it meant that a quiet faith that she had appeared to be fostering stopped completely. My mums response was to inform me that I was never to bring talk of God into our house.



In truth though it wasn't a hard decision, it was more a time required to get used to the decision that I needed to make. I can honestly say that I have never regretted making the decision to follow Jesus. There are definitely times when I have been aware of the costs that I have to pay but I also know that any cost I pay is nothing compared to the cost Christ made for me.



Three months after becoming a Christian I moved away from home to start training as an Occupational Therapist at Brunel University. The amazing vicar of the charismatic Anglican Church where I had become a Christian (St Alkmunds, Derby, UK), Rev. Paul Corrie, wrote to a church in Twickenham that he had been given the name of as being very similar in style. As a consequence I received a letter from St Stephens, East Twickenham, Middlesex, UK, letting me know they were looking forward to meeting me. I cherish that letter with lots of extremely fond memories of my arriving in West London and starting a new life.

No comments:

Post a Comment